www.lettimmysmoke.com

www.lettimmysmoke.com

Friday, November 5, 2010

The real impact of Tim Lincecum’s marijuana bust

We’re playing it straight in our news account on Tim Lincecum’s marijuana bust. You really can’t make light of illegal drug use in the newspaper.

(My original lede was Tim Lincecum is a budding superstar — apparently in more ways than one.)

I can’t condone illicit drug use, but we know what the overriding reaction is going to be. Especially in the Bay Area. Lincecum won’t face any disciplinary action from the league, nor would I expect these misdemeanor charges to impact the salary arbitration process. He’ll pay his fine, maybe attend a state-mandated screening of “Reefer Madness” and be sent on his way toward earning multimillions.

No, the real impact of Lincecum’s bust will be felt the first time he pitches on the road — and hears every manner of clever insult from the stands.

“Forget the Ryan Express. Timmy’s on the Pineapple Express.”

“Hey Timmy, just tell ‘em you have glaucoma.”

“Save some hits for the game.”

The embarrassment might be the worst thing to come out of this. I’d be surprised if Lincecum loses any endorsements. And besides, it’s not like this comes as a shock. Lincecum dresses like he’s a cross between Jimbo Jonesfrom “The Simpsons” and Jay from “Clerks.” Maybe he’ll drop all pretenses and start wearing dreads.

Here’s another way to put this in context: A marijuana charge looks so sweetly innocent after more than a decade of vicious controversy over artificial muscle and injected juice. Hash or horse steroids? Most folks will find one far less objectionable than the other.

But today’s news is still a hit to Lincecum’s reputation, no pun intended this time.

Over the past two years, various people have whispered things to me about Lincecum having a little too much fun on the town. I’ve talked to him about it, myself. If it ever presented itself as an issue, if it ever appeared to affect his performance, I’d have pursued it and reported it. But the numbers are pretty clear. It hasn’t. I’ve never seen him hung over before a game, or impaired or restricted in any way while in uniform.

One time, as a rookie in 2007, he overslept and missed a team flight to Cincinnati. And that’s about it.

As they say, though, the appearance of impropriety can be just as damaging. And in light of today’s news, there will be people who question Lincecum’s drive, desire and work ethic.

They’ll also bring up his mysterious disappearance from the 2008 All-Star Game, when he never made it to Yankee Stadium because of dehydration stemming from flu symptoms.

To that, I can only say this: I’ve looked into it. And yes, I know he had at least a couple of drinks that night. But he also had his father with him and was meeting his girlfriend’s parents for the first time. From everything I’ve gathered, he wasn’t out late.

I can also tell you, having accompanied the team on the road trip prior to that All-Star break, a respiratory virus had been circulating through the clubhouse. Several guys got knocked down pretty hard because of it. I remember slathering myself in hand sanitizer because I knew I’d have to work my tail off in New York and couldn’t afford to get sick.

If it’s all a smokescreen, it’s well played. But I do believe Lincecum really had the flu that night in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment